Membership Criteria and Benefits
Who can be a Heart of the City member?
Our members are eligible businesses and property owners of commercially rated properties located within our boundary, and who pay a special targeted Business Improvement District rate collected on our behalf by Auckland Council. Membership is free. Register to become a Heart of the City member here.
There are many ways Heart of the City aims to benefit its members. These include:
- Advocacy and representation: We regularly lobby on behalf of business on key issues that impact the economic success of the city centre, across key broad areas such as policy development, transport, safety and infrastructure projects. This includes making submissions as well as representing business interests on governance groups such as the Auckland City Centre Advisory Board, which oversees the delivery of the City Centre Targeted Rate, and the Mayoral Task Force on safety.
- City operations: We work closely with Auckland Council, Auckland Transport and many other agencies to ensure the city centre is well managed. This includes reviewing all applications for filming, events, and operations in the street with a focus on minimising disruption to business.
- Membership communications: Our e-letter goes out on a regular basis and includes important information for business - how to get involved in our marketing campaign and events, the opportunity to provide feedback on city centre issues, and much more.
- Marketing and Promotion: Our destination marketing team deliver content for our always on website, social channels and WHERE NEXT(tm) app daily, as well as preparing content for our weekly City Guide emails. We also plan and deliver campaigns at key times across the year to support our visitation pillars of fashion, dining, nightlife, arts and culture - and Christmas. The events and sponsorship team deliver events for the city that drive visitation (i.e. Restaurant Month, Fashion in the City, ArtWeek and Christmas), and manage sponsorship of these and third party events who meet our strategic objectives and criteria. Find out more here. You can also list your own event on our Events calendar.
- Performance Monitoring & Research: We provide a range of research to information about the city centre's performance including 24/7 pedestrian counts and quarterly spending results.
- Business listings: Members are able to list their businesses on our business directory and relevant businesses are profiled on www.heartofthecity.co.nz