Our highlights for the year
Our AGM last week officially closed the book on the 2016/17 year, so we have been reflecting on the work we have done and the results delivered on behalf of our members and the city centre community. We are pleased to share these highlight results in line with our key annual priorities as an organisation.
Promoting the City
- Telling the story of our vibrant, world class city and encouraging spending and visitation with our campaigns: Restaurant Month, Lovebites, Artweek, Four Days of Fashion and Christmas.
+10.6% participants' spend for Restaurant Month (2017 v. 2016)
- Informing people about city centre dining, shopping, events and nightlife – the main reasons for visiting the city.
2.3m visits to www.heartofthecity.co.nz in the year to Sept 2017
- Building and reinforcing perceptions of the city centre.
90% of respondents tell us “the city is aspirational, cultural and vibrant”
(Buzz Channel survey, Aucklanders - n.309)
Involving our members
- Profiling city businesses and organisations in our key events and campaigns
300+ involved in 2016/2017
- Asking for member opinions on key topics
Surveys on key topics including construction, begging and city development drew over 450 valuable responses that have guided our priorities and actions
- Advocating city centre transformation and prioritising key projects
Refreshed transport-inclusive city and waterfront plans
United approach to end homelessness
- Challenging policy on behalf of business and speaking for city centre businesses
Proposed targeted rate on accommodation
Easter trading rules
Proposed pause in business rates differential
Improving the business environment
- Increasing public safety through lobbying and funding
Extended CityWatch service
Increased day time police presence
- Minimising City Rail Link and development impact
Successfully lobbied for development response plan to support businesses
Specialist council staff assigned to provide support and activations
Find out more about the work we did in our 2016/17 Year in Review publication.