Rubbish collection and your responsibilities
Rubbish and recycling might not be glamorous, but it can play a major role in how the city is perceived by visitors, workers and residents. Rubbish being placed outside of the collection times or not in the official bags is causing some parts of the city to look untidy, so make sure your business and your neighbours are disposing of waste appropriately to reduce negative impacts and avoid fines.
We've recapped the details about Auckland Council's rubbish and recycling collections in the city centre below - if you are having trouble with collection times or the current process, please contact us so we can help work out a way to deal with it.
Auckland Council's city centre rubbish and recycling collections
General rubbish, recycling, paper and cardboard is collected 13 times weekly in the city centre. The times you can place your rubbish and recycling out for collection are:
- Monday to Saturday 5pm - 5:30pm and 12am (midnight) - 4am
- Sunday 12am (midnight) - 4am
- Fines apply for rubbish placed outside the above collection times ($400) or rubbish disposed of illegally (up to $25,000).
- If you notice your neighbours placing rubbish outside these times, please remind them about the correct times.
- If you see rubbish in the street during the day, please contact Auckland Council to let them know - (09) 301 0101
- NB. This information relates to council collections only. Some buildings and businesses use private waste management suppliers. If you're not sure which applies to your business, check with your property manager.
- For more detail about rubbish collections, council rubbish bags, how to dispose of fats and oils, and informtion about what can and can't be dumped, see our full set of information about city rubbish and recycling.
Reducing waste and recycling
Auckland Council have published some helpful advice that may help your business:
- Minimising waste produced by your business
- Information about what can be recycled and the processes for this
- Contacts that can provide advice about making your business more sustainable