Prime Minister’s announcement must deliver for Auckland
Heart of the City has set out the announcement it would like to hear from the Prime Minister on Monday.
“This announcement is essential to show Auckland businesses their needs have been heard and to give them confidence that they will be supported as we start on the road to recovery,” says Viv Beck, Chief Executive of Heart of the City. “We can’t leave recovery to chance after a further 12-week lockdown that has hit our city hard. Monday’s announcement is an important starting point to put the building blocks in place for recovery.”
- An opening date, no later than 1 December to create urgency for vaccination and provide certainty for Christmas trading.
- Confirm removal date for the Auckland border.
- Outline the future of MIQ.
- Confirm reopening date for the international border.
- Confirm Auckland will move to Green by 1 December.
- Remove the requirement to work from home under the COVID-19 Framework, with 90% of people fully vaccinated. This will make a fundamental difference to the recovery of the city centre.
- Confirm what financial support will be available for heavily impacted sectors in Auckland on an ongoing basis and for how long.
- Announce a low cost, easy to repay scheme that works like student loans (COVID loans).
- Fast-tracked liquor licence process up and running for outdoor dining.
- Confirm reactivation funding to support people to get out again and support the recovery.