Back to top anchor
Back to content top anchor

Outdoor trading at Level 2 - what businesses need to know

News story
Thursday 30 Sep 2021

Updated 14 October 2021

Due to COVID-19 requirements at Level 2 and the newly created Level 3/Step 3, businesses may be looking at ways to boost their trading area by using outdoor space.

Auckland Council has issued guidelines for applying for or extending outdoor spaces and information about applying for Liquor Licensing.

Update 14 October: Following our lobbying, no application or rental fees will apply for temporary or temporarily extended food-only outdoor dining areas while Level 4-2 is in place

Applying for fast-tracked food only outdoor licenses
Auckland Council is fast-tracking applications for food-only outdoor dining using footpaths or other public spaces (like car parks) outside businesses. License application fees and rental fees are being waived for temporary or temporarily extended food-only outdoor dining areas.

To get your temporary application underway or apply to extend your current area, email council’s outdoor dining team:​

Outdoor dining license extensions
Auckland Council will automatically extend the expiry dates for existing food-only outdoor licences at no cost to businesses - In effect, this means you will not pay for these licences for the lockdown period. The extension will cover the timeframe that trading restrictions at Alert Levels 4, 3 and 2 were in place (to a maximum of 6 months). Businesses do not need to contact Council to receive an extension, it will be applied automatically at the end of the period.

Apply now for liquor licensing for outdoor dining areas
An alcohol license for your outdoor area is a separate application process. These cannot be fast-tracked and there may be processing delays beyond the standard 6 weeks due to COVID. With alert level change timing unknown, if a liquor license is critical to your outdoor dining and you want to make an application, we recommend doing this as soon as possible. To get started, email:

If you need more information or require any support with your outdoor trading plans, or if you need any support with assets like street furniture to get your outdoor dining up and running, please get in touch as we may be able to assist.