Taskforce on City Centre Alcohol and Safety
Heart of the City is a member of the Mayoral Taskforce on Alcohol and Central City Safety. The taskforce is made up of key stakeholders, including the council, police, and Hospitality New Zealand, and has been formed at the direction of Mayor Len Brown to address alcohol and safety issues within Auckland’s central city.
At its first meeting, the taskforce reached a broad consensus on investigating nine initiatives to minimise the occurrence of ‘pre-loading’ and to enhance the safety and enjoyment of the central city area for everyone.
The initiatives look across a broad range of areas from environmental and public sector initiatives, as well from within the business community, recognising that everyone, not just business, has a part to play in addressing these issues. These include:
· voluntary one-way door policies and investigating a broader night bus service, with better alignment between hospitality trading hours and public transport;
· increased community-based patrols, including Maori, Pacific and Asian wardens;
· improved car park lighting and establishing parking limits targeting five ‘pre-loading’ hot spots;
· instant fines for breaching liquor bans;
· improved on-street management of queues;
· active enforcement to eliminate the sale of single drinks from off-licence outlets;
· increased visibility of security officers;
· Auckland Council’s liquor licensing rapid response teams working more closely with NZ Police.
Some of the proposed actions will require direct involvement from the CBD community, in particular from City Centre Hospitality Businesses. Your contribution to the process will be critical to realising the overall objectives.
Heart of the City will work closely with HOTCity Businesses and other agencies including Hospitality New Zealand around the specific actions that need business participation to be realised.
The next meeting is scheduled for two weeks time. We will ensure that we keep you informed on how businesses will be invited to participate in the discussions.
In the meantime if you have any questions or have any issues you would like us to represent you on, please contact Tania@hotcity.co.nz or call us on 09 379 8000.