Information for businesses in relation to the NZICC fire:
This is a very upsetting situation, with immediate impacts likely to be felt across many businesses in city centre today and longer term for both the NZICC and Auckland. It is not yet clear when access restrictions may be lifted.
Transport and access:
There are a number of road closures currently in place: Wellesley St (west from Victoria to Nelson + btwn Nelson & Hobson), Nelson St (btwn Cook & Victoria) and Hobson St (btwn Victoria & Wellesley).
These roads are also closed to those on bikes or walking. The Nelson Street cycleway is closed between Cook Street and Victoria street.
More information about bus diversions is available here
Public Health and Safety:
Information issued yesterday from Auckland Regional Public Health Service still stands:
- Stay away from the fire site and out of the smoke
- Keep windows (and store doors) closed
- Shut down external ventilation if smoke is being drawn into your building
- See your doctor if smoke has caused shortness of breath or worsening of asthma symptoms.
- Wipe down surfaces – especially food preparation and cooking surfaces – in areas affected by smoke
- People who smoke, the elderly, children, and those with heart disease, asthma or other lung conditions are at greatest risk of harm from smoke inhalation and should avoid exposure.
If you have health concerns, call Healthline at 0800 611 116 or seek medical assistance.
What this means for business today & further assistance
Businesses in the city will choose to deal with the today's disruption in different ways - such as recommending staff to work from home, not opening due to impact from smoke or access restrictions in the areas of the road closures, or to mitigate the impacts by following the advice of Auckland Public Health.
Heart of the City is not in a position to recommend to businesses what they should do in this instance, however we do note that there is likely to be a reduction in people coming into the city, and this will naturally have an impact on retail and hospitality businesses especially.
We are more than happy to receive any queries from businesses - and we will support you as best as we can. Please contact us on 09 379 8000 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org